In about 1671 he moved his growing family southwest of He settled in Milton, formerly a part of Dorchester and signed the agreement regarding the parsonage land May 18, 1667. He moved to Swansea, Mass. as early as 1671 being the first man of the name in the town Dorchester to a little farming community called Swansea. Records show that he was considered a second class citizen which was based on the property he able to afford.
Despite the fact that the colonists and the Indians had co-existed peacefully for over fifty years the Indians killed William and his teenage (16) son, John, in June 23, 1775. They cut off their heads and hands and mounted them on poles at the entrance to the village. A monument to these victims of racial violence appears near the location. The inscription reads:
"MYLES GARRISON HOUSE SITE.
Near this spot stood the John Myles Garrison House the Place of Meeting of the Troops of Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth Colonies
commanded by Major Thomas Savage and James Cudworth who marched to the relief of Swansea at the opening of King Philip's War A.D. 1675.
THERE FELL AT SWANSEA, SLAIN BY INDIANS,